National Stomal Therapy Awareness Week 8th to 14th June 2020
A nationally-designated week in June which acknowledges and supports the person living with a stoma in our community and recognizes the health professional and other support organisations involved in their care.
The National Executive is seeking to encourage members to publicise & recognise National Stomal Therapy Week. Periodically you will receive an email containing ideas for promotion within your branch, workplace and/or the wider community.
Some ideas to begin with:
- A display of information related to bowel and stomas. Perhaps a stall or table inside the foyer of your hospital or local shopping centre.
- The wearing of t-shirts or caps by Stomal Therapy Nurses, Surgeons and Colorectal Ward Staff.
- Contact the local Cancer Council to discuss possible activities to be held through the week.
- Fun Packs – eg: drainable bags/closed bags containing Smarties and a brochure outlining the role of the STN.
- Contact the local radio station - ‘Interview with an STN’.
- Contact your State Cancer Council or Crohn’s and Colitis Association and discuss joint ventures – how could they assist??
- Do a brochure pack in small carry bags. Contact different entities for their brochures and have them set-up on a table for offer or hand them out.
In 1986 at the WCET Congress in Perth, WA, Dr Neal Blewett, Federal Minister for Health announced approval for a week in June to be designated National Stomal Therapy Week. It was registered with the Health Department and the event is recognised annually. National Stomal Therapy week begins after the second Sunday in June. (amended June 2004)
February, 2000 (updated 2004)